Thursday, February 03, 2005

Change From The Ordinary

In contrast to my usual crabbing, here's something a little more personal...KB linked an article from his blog, so I'm posting about the article just in case people venture over here from his site.

Many of you know I have a nephew, Matthew, who has a kidney disease. My sister gave him a kidney Christmas of 03. That kidney stopped working about 6-9 months ago, so he's now on dialysis 7 days a week, 7 hours at a time. Thankfully he gets his treatments at home while he sleeps, so it doesn't interfere too much, but still. It really sucks that he got to be "normal" for a while (been sick since he was 2) then had to start treatments again. The doctors (who are clueless as to what's really wrong with him) say after a year they'll put him on the list, and start testing relatives again. I dunno what his blood type is, but I'm A+ and I'll definitely get tested if he asks. Most of you also know that my sister is quite, well strange, when it comes to family relationships. When Matt was first born she'd come over every other weekend, then she suddenly stopped coming around. Yeah, after the transplant he wasn't allowed to travel for a year so that's cool. When we call her wanting to come visit, or to check on Matt, she never answers the phone or calls us back. So we really have no idea how he's doing other than when she spontaneously calls once in a while. Morgan and I drove past their house when he and I went to Pitt, but it was 5 or 6 in the morning so we didn't stop. To top it all off, Paul (husband/dad) was diagnosed with leukemia about a year and a half ago. So yeah, the next time you feel like bitching about your crappy day because someone was in your way at the store or on the highway, shut the fuck up and be thankful you have your health, can eat what you want, go to school if you so desire and have all your vital organs.

You didn't really think I'd get through a whole post without bitching, did you?

That is all.